Wednesday, December 26, 2018

More to come in 2019


Within the past few months my son has been diagnosed with bone cancer and this has absorbed all of my time. With the dawn of a new year, however, we hope to be at a place to hypothesize once again. For now I leave you with some lines composed for my son. I was once challenged to try and write a sonnet and stick to its forms. I found it compelling and have rarely written verse outside of its strictures. Hope you enjoy!


The beauty of this face now weeping light

Is brave in light, is bold in light, my sun! 

And should this fate fall into the night

Each morning’s mourning will relive this dawn.


Not trouble for a sphere towards a head

of man’s confusion nor a deadened knell,

Would ne’er consume confined by dread

Nor walk alone to make a heaven hell!


In tears, by tears, before the endless tomb,

to say that this be gone and gone too soon?

May April march its months of final doom,

For this? Not this -- forever radiant June!


tHis life, tHis love, tHis light, by demons awed,
tHis would recall the very face of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment